Home
Irrigation in Malaysia

Irrigation in Malaysia

Malaysia is located in South East Asia consisting of two regions separated by 650 Km of South China Sea it came into existence in 1963 and comprises Peninsular Malaysia, Sarawak and Sabah. The western region was Thailand in its north, Indonesia in south (Sumatra separated by Strait of Malacca) and South China Sea in the east. The eastern region has the same sea in its west, Indonesia (Borneo) in the south. The western region can be traced between the latitudes of 10' to 5° N and longitudes of 111° to 115° E, while the eastern region lies between the latitudes of 3° 5' to 0° 30' N and longitudes of 119° to 122° E. Malaysia occupies a total area of 330433 Sq. Km with the highest elevation of 4094 m of mount Kinabalu in Sabah. The total population is 21.01 million of which about 21% are involved in agriculture although the rural population is estimated to be 58%, the remaining 42% live in cities and towns. Malaysia is the largest producer of natural rubber, tin and palm oil. Major exported goods include electric and electronic equipment, machinery, petroleum, rubber timber and palm oil.

Malaysia has a strong economy in South East Asia and depends heavily on the production of petroleum, rubber, timber and tin. But it also produces a variety of farm crops and manufactures goods, whereas tin mining was the first driving force and now it ranks third in tin production but lately petroleum and natural gas make the mark. It occupies 13th position in the deposits of natural gas and 22nd in petroleum reserves. Manufacturing accounts for 26% contribution to CDP. The per capita GNP of Malaysia is US $ 3520 (1994)